Easy Customs

January 4-5th, 2008



Remembering from the last post the I was given a hard time even at the check-in line at the LA airport, the customs at New Zealand comparatively was dreamy. They didn't even ask a single question or request to see any documentation. I simply stated my intentions of entering the country on a visa and the customs officer stamped my visa. That was it, I was able to enter the country. After a twelve hour flight and the stress I encountered at the LA airport, I don't think I could have handled any additional complications, so the express customs was what I needed.



Arriving in Auckland without a hitch, I stammered around in a daze. Even thought there's actually only a three hour difference in time, not much sleep on the plane coupled with the heat and humidity lead me to feel what I'd guess to be jet-legged. By mid-afternoon, having walked most of the downtown of Auckland, I lay down to sleep in Albert park. After I recovered enough to function again, I checked into the Nomads Fat Camel Hostel (don't go there if you like anything to be moderately nice) and immediately left because I wasn't fond of the dungeon-like rooms. I proceeded to walk around town for the rest of the night until, once again, I passed out, this time in a semi-proper bed.



Having compiled a long list of items to purchase before setting out on a week long camping trip to Piha Beach, I had my work cut out for me on the 5th. Despite my long list of obligatory shipping, however, I became distracted by the Auckland harbour ferry tour. The tour was outstanding. It took me under the Auckland City Bridge to Devonport, Mt. Victoria, North Head, and Rangitoto Island, but upon returning to the harbour, I realised more than before that time was tight for shopping. The shopping goddess must have been on my side as I had successfully completed all of the shopping by about 5:00 pm. Most importantly, I found a guitar which I now love. Thank you so very much Grandma and Grandpa. You are too good to me. Exhausted, I returned to my room where I met my roomies who were all very pleasant and went for some beers.



Albert Park - where I passed out after a long flight and a long walk through downtown Auckland.

Beautiful Auckland at night.

No comments: