A Mindless Musician's Mixed Blessing

Feb 26th, 2008



Quite possibly the most embarrassing thing I've experienced happened to me last night. I was very happily practicing my guitar and singing in the YHA, Wellington at 11:00 PM, sure that no other person could hear me when I heard a knock on the door of the dorm. Before I could open the door, a second more violent knock rapped. Two older English 'propers' immediately began nattering at me, " you're probably keeping half the hostel up," "it's a loud instrument," and "it's late!" as soon as I opened the door. I patiently waited for them to vent their anger and replied, " Now that I can say a word, I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was so loud. Thanks for telling me." The response sounded calm and collected when, in fact my heart was fluttering and I believe even my eyes went red from blushing. My hands even shook as I wrote this moments after closing the door behind me. I felt horrible.

Now that time has passed and I have had time to reflect, it was nice to finally piss someone off with my music. To my knowledge, it has never happened before. I guess I am coming out of my shell. When a person expresses themselves outside of their shell, they're sure to irritate others. I choose to accept the fact that the pair having not complained about my singing is a sign that I wasn't singing too far off key and nothing could make me happier!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

derek props to you for handling it so well! i hate confrontations like that! at least you were able to actually articulate a response...my eyes normally water and this comes out of my mouth.."i..umm..er...ahh...mmm..ehh"...well along those lines anyways!