The Real Deal

Feb 4th-6th, 2008


"Perfect, he looks like a surfer," I thought to myself when I met my surf instructor before driving to picturesque Taupo Bay Beach. His appearance gave me confidence in the Isobar Surf company and relieved some apprehension I felt when booking the two day learn to surf package. The brochure for Isobar looked too professional to offer a true surf experience. In addition, the beach house I was to stay in was also a true surfers house, complete with surfboards hanging off the ceiling, buckets for cleaning sand off feet at each entrance, and an unfinished but cozy look. At the back of the house was a dorm room for the guests with six beds which were all occupied while I was there. Both days, delicious and huge meals were served. One was not expected to help out with food prep or cleanup but the atmosphere was such that it felt natural to help out. To add to the great accommodation were the four two hour surfing sessions over the course of two days. Great instruction helped me get up on the board consistently during the first session. When I'd successfully stand on the board, I'd scream "wicked!" for the benefit of the instructor. He was convinced that Canadians always say "wicked" when they get excited. It felt natural, maybe we do. I love to surf. There's something that appeals to me about being abused by the ocean, so I was drawn back to Opua to do some more sailing.



This is a picture of Taupo Bay Beach.
Rips are actually a surfers best friend, so long as he one doesn't lose their board...


Worn, I had to quit surfing but took the opportunity to snap a photo of the surf.

No comments: